Alexander A. Krasnovsky
singlet oxygen, chlorophyll, bacteriochlorophyll, phosphorescence, oxygen photonics, photodynamic stress, photoprotection of plant cells, carotenoids, retinals, furocumarins, photosensitizers, photodynamic therapy, laser excitation of oxygen, mechanisms of laser therapy
Directions of research
Mechanisms of photoactivation of oxygen molecules leading to population of the oxygen singlet states. Analysis of the deactivation routes and functional roles of singlet oxygen in chemical, biochemical and photobiochemical systems including photosynthesizing organisms, visual photoreceptors and the pigment-containing cells and tissues important for photophysiology and photomedicine.
Development of the original noninvasive phosphorescence methods, which are permanently improved using modern laser generators, fiber optics and computer technologies.
Applied problems connected with photoactivation of oxygen for needs of photomedicine (phodynamic cancer treatment and laser therapy), cosmethology, food research, photobactericidal applications and other problems related to photodestruction and photoprotection of colored cells and materials.
Historical sketches on research in photobiology.
- Krasnovsky A.A. Jr. Luminescence and photochemical studies of singlet oxygen photonics. J. Photochem. Photobiol.: A: Chem. 196, No 2-3, 210-218 (2008), DOI: 10.1016/j.jphotochem.2007.12.015
- Krasnovsky, A.A. Jr. Phosphorescence of triplet chlorophylls. In: Handbook of Porphyrin Science, (eds Karl M. Kadish, Kevin M. Smith, Roger Guilard) 2014, Vols 33, Aplications Part II. р.78-165. World Scientific Publishing, Singapore.
- Krasnovsky, A.A. Jr., Kovalev Yu.V. Spectral and Kinetic Parameters of Phosphorescence of Triplet Chlorophyll a in the Photosynthetic Apparatus of Plants. Biochemistry (Moscow), Vol. 79, No. 4, pp. 349-361 (2014), DOI: 10.1134/S000629791404004X)
- Krasnovsky A.A. Jr., Kozlov A.S. New Approach to Measurement of IR Absorption Spectra of Dissolved Oxygen Molecules Based on Photochemical Activity of Oxygen upon Direct Laser Excitation. Biophysics (Biofizika), Vol. 59, No. 2, pp. 199–205 (2014).
- Krasnovsky A.A. Singlet oxygen and primary mechanisms of photodynamic and laser medicine. Basic science for medicine: Biophysical and medical technology, Monograph: Ed. By A.I. Grigoriev and Yu. A. Vladimirov, V. 1, P. 173-217, – Moscow, MAKS Press, 2015. (in Russian)
- Neverov K.V., Krasnovsky A.A. Jr., Zabelin A. A., Shuvalov V.A., Shkuropatov A. Ya. Low-temperature (77 K) phosphorescence of triplet chlorophyll in isolated reaction centers of Photosystem II. Photosynthesis Res., Vol. 125, pp. 43-49 (2015), DOI: 10.1007/s11120-015-0105-1
- Grin M.A., Toukach P. V., Vladimir B. Tsvetkov, Roman I. Reshetnikov, Olga V. Kharitonova, Kozlov A.S., Krasnovsky A.A., Mironov A.F.; Bacteriochlorin-containing triad: structure and photophysical properties. Dyes and Pigmеnts, vol. 121, p. 121-129 (2015), DOI.org/10.1016/j.dyepig.2015.04.034
- Krasnovsky A.A. Jr., Kozlov A.S. Photonics of dissolved oxygen molecules. Comparison of the rates of direct and photosensitized excitation of oxygen and reevaluation of the oxygen absorption coefficients. J. Photochemistry and Photobiology, A: Chemistry. V. 329, 167-174 (2016), DOI.org/10/1016/j.jphotochem.2016.06.026
- Zabelin A.A., Neverov K.V., Krasnovsky A.A. Jr., Shkuropatova V.A., Shuvalov V.A., Shkuropatov A.Ya. Characterization of the low-temperature triplet state of chlorophyll in photosystem II core complexes: Application of phosphorescence measurements and Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. Biochimica and Biophysica Acta, v. 1857, 782-788, 2016. DOI.org/10.1016/j.bbabio.2016.03.029
- Krasnovsky A.A. Jr., Kozlov A.S. Photonics of dissolved oxygen molecules. Comparison of the rates of direct and photosensitized excitation of oxygen and reevaluation of the oxygen absorption coefficients. J. Photochemistry and Photobiology, A: Chemistry. vol. 329, 167-174 (2016), dx.doi..org/10.1016/j.jpЬotxxhem. 2016.00.026
- Krasnovsky A.A. Jr., Kozlov A.S., Laser photochemistry of oxygen. Application to studies of the absorption spectra of dissolved oxygen molecules, Journal of Biomedical Photonics & Engineering, V. 3 (1), 010302 (1 – 10) (2017), DOI: 10.18287/JBPE17.03.010302
- Krasnovsky A.A. Jr. Light and chlorophyll: major milestones in history of early studies. Journal of Russian D.I. Mendeleev Chemical society, 61, No 3, 18-41, 2017
- Krasnovsky A.A., Singlet molecular oxygen: Early history of spectroscopic and photochemical studies with contributions of A.N. Terenin and Terenin’s school, Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, 2018. V. 354, No 1-3, P. 11-24, DOI: 10.1016/j.jphotochem.2017.07.013
- A. A. Krasnovsky, A. S. Benditkis, and A. S. Kozlov. Kinetic Measurements of Singlet Oxygen Phosphorescence in Hydrogen-Free Solvents by Time Resolved Photon Counting. Biochemistry (Moscow), Vol. 84, No. 2, pp. 153-163 (2019, DOI: 10.1134/S00062979190-20068
- А. А. Krasnovsky, A. S. Kozlov, A. S. Benditkis. Comparison of Photodynamic Activities of Molecular Oxygen and Porphyrins. Macroheterocycles. 12 (2) 171-180 (2019), DOI: 10.6060/mhc190659k
- D. V. Belykh, A. S. Kozlov, Y. I. Pylina, I. S. Khudyaeva, А. S. Benditkis, A. A. Krasnovsky, Copper Сomplexes of Сhlorin Derivatives of Chlorophyll a as Potential Photosensitizers for Medical Purposes, Macroheterocycles. 12 (1) 68-74, 2019, DOI: 10.6060/mhc190128b
- A. A. Ashikhmin, A. S. Benditkis, A. A. Moskalenko, and A. A. Krasnovsky, Jr. Phytofluene as a Highly Efficient UVA Photosensitizer of Singlet Oxygen Generation. Biochemistry (Moscow), Vol. 85, No. 7, pp. 773-780 (2020), DOI: 10.31857/S0320972520070052
- Krasnovsky A. A. Jr. Photonics of Molecular Oxygen in Aqueous Solutions, Physics of Wave Phenomena, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 116–134 (2020), DOI: 10.3103/S1541308X20020090
- Kozlov A.S., Egorova O.N., Medvedkov O.I., Krasnovsky A.A. Activation of oxygen molecules by 1070 nm laser radiation in aerated solvents, Optics Lett. Vol. 46, No. 3/1, p. 556-559 (2021), DOI.org/10.1364/OL.416416
- Benditkis AS, Kozlov AS, Goncharov SE., and Krasnovsky Jr. AA, “Detection of the Fraunhofer band B (690 nm) in the absorption spectra of oxygen in aerated solvents”, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 38, 3410-3416 (2021), DOI.org/10.1364/JOSAB.432684
- Krasnovsky A. A., Jr., Kozlov A. S., and Benditkis A. S. Laser activation of oxygen in aerated solvents. Measurement of the absorption spectra of oxygen. Dissolved in aerated solvents under natural conditions. Russian Physics Journal, Vol. 64, No. 11, р. 2035-2045 (2022), DOI 10.1007/s11182-022-02552-1
- Klimenko A., Rodina E., Silachev D., Begun M., Babenko V.A., Benditkis A.S., Kozlov A. S., Krasnovsky A. A., Khotimchenko Yu. S., Katanaev V. L. Chlorin Endogenous to the North Pacific Brittle Star Ophiura sarsii for Photodynamic Therapy Applications in Breast Cancer and Glioblastoma Models. Biomedicines 10, 134 (2022), DOI.org/10.3390/biomedicines10010134
- Ashikhmin A.A., Benditkis A.S., Moskalenko A.A., and Krasnovsky A. A., Jr., ζCarotene: Generation and Quenching of Singlet Oxygen, Comparison with Phytofluene. Biochemistry (Moscow), Vol. 87, No. 10, pp. 1169-1178 (2022), DOI: 10.1134/S0006297922100108
- Firsov A.M., Pfeffermann J., Benditkis A.S., Rokitskaya T.I., Kozlov A.S.,Kotova E.A., Krasnovsky A.A., Pohl P., Antonenko Yu. N., Photodynamic activity rather than drilling causes membrane damage by a light-powered molecular nanomotor, Journal of Photochemistry & Photobiology, B: Biology, 239, 112633 (2023), DOI.org/10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2022.112633