Yuriy V. Litti
+7 (499) 135-04-20
Keywords: Microorganisms and microbial communities of anthropogenic habitats, formation and oxidation of methane, methanogenic archaea, synthrophic bacteria, anaerobic ammonium oxidation (anammox), anammox bacteria, wastewater treatment, anaerobic systems for treatment of solid and semi-solid wastes, landfills, composting, waste water treatment
Laboratory was founded in 1996 under the guidance of Dr. Sci A.N. Nozhevnikova (formerly – research group of studying of anaerobic degradation of organic wastes in laboratory of lithotrophic microorganisms INMI RAS headed by A.M. RAS G. A. Zavarzin). The main fields of investigation are connected with anaerobic communities and anaerobic and aerobic microorganisms of anthropogenic habitats such as municipal wastewater treatment facilities, industrial and agricultural wates, landfills, sediments of polluted waterpols. In cooperation with “ECOS” Company, a new biotechnology of wastewater treatment with immobilization of the active sludge and effective nitrogen elimination using anammox bacteria, was developed and implemented.
The head of laboratory, Dr. A. N. Nozhevnikova, and the members of laboratory, V. K. Nekrasova and PHD Yu. V. Litty have been rewarded by the Award of the Government of the Russian Federation in the field of science and technology in 2014.
Major fields of investigation:
- Microorganisms and microbial communities of anthropogenic habitats, including bioreactors, landfills, sediments of contaminated waters.
- Isolation of anaerobic mesophilic, psychrophilic and thermophilic bacteria and archaea from anthropogenic habitats.
- Syntrophic microbial associations in methanogenic communities.
- Microbial processes in composting.
- Anammox process and anammox bacteria: enrichment, isolation and identification of anammox bacteria and their microbial satellites.
- Interactions between nitrifying, denitrifying and anammox bacteria in microbial communities of the bioreactors.
- Microbial aggregation and formation of biofilms and flocs in anammox bioreactors and methane-producing bioreactors.
- Development of the novel methods and approaches in treatment of landfills and agricultural waste.
- Development of the novel methods and approaches in wastewater treatment.
- Kotsyurbenko O.R., Nozhevnikova A.N., Soloviova T.I. and Zavarzin G.A. (1996). Methanogenesis at low temperatures by microflora of tundra wetland soil. Antonie van Levenhoek, 69, N1, 75-86
- Lettinga G. Rebac S., Parshina S., Nozhevnikova A., van Lier J.B., Stams A.J.M. High-rate anaerobic treatment of wastewater at low temperatures. Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 1999, 65, No. 4, 1696-1702
- Simankova M.V., Kotsyurbenko O.R., Stackebrandt E., Kostrikina N.A., Lysenko A.M., Osipov G.A., Nozhevnikova A.N. Acetobacterium tundrae sp. nov., a new species of psychrophilic acetogenic bacterium from tundra soil. Arch. Microbiol., 2000, v.174, p.440-447
- Kotsyurbenko O.R., Glagolev M.V., Nozhevnikova, A. N., Conrad R. Competition between homoacetogenic bacteria and methanogenic archaea for hydrogen at low temperature. FEMS Microbiol Еcol., 2001, v. 38, p. 153-159.
- Parshina S.N., Kleerebezem R., Sans J.L., Lettinga G., Nozhevnikova A.N., Kostrikina N.A., Lysenko A.M., Stams A.J.M. Soengenia saccharolytica gen. nov., sp. nov. and Clostridium amygdalum sp. nov. two novel anaerobic benzaldehyde-converting bacteria. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, 2003, 53 (6), 1791 – 1799
- Kotsyurbenko O.R., Chin K.-J., Glagolev M..V., Stubner S., Simankova M.V., Nozhevnikova A.N., Conrad R. Acetoclastic and hydrogenotrophic methane production and methanogenic populations in an acidic West-Siberian pet bog. Environmental Microbiology, 2004, v.6, p.1159-1173.
- Kotsyurbenko O.R., Friedrich M.W., Simankova M.V., Nozhevnikova A.N., Golyshin P.N., Timmis K.N., Conrad R. Shift from acetoclastic to H2-dependent methanogenesis in a West Siberian peat bog at low pH values and isolation of an acidophilic Methanobacterium strain. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 2007, v.73, p.2344-2348
- KallistovaA.Yu., Goel G., Nozhevnikova A.N. Microbial diversity of methanogenic communities in the systems for anaerobic treatment of organic waste // Microbiology. 2014. V. 83. No.5. pp. 462–483.
- Botchkova E.A., Plakunov V.K., Nozhevnikova A.N. Dynamics of biofilm formation on microscopic slides submerged in an anammox bioreactor // Microbiology, Vol. 84, No. 3, 2015, p. 456-460.
- A. N. Nozhevnikova, E. A. Botchkova , V. K. Plakunov. Multi-species biofilms in ecology, medicine, and biotechnology. // Microbiology. November 2015, Volume 84, Issue 6, pp 731-750